The Corporate Controller/Business Manager will be responsible for managing the daily operations of the accounting department. The candidate must be a self-starter, adaptable to change and possess strong accounting, finance and management backgrounds. Candidate must have experience in the construction industry. The desired candidate will also possess strong organizational, communication and leadership skills. The Controller/Business Manager will report to the Chief Financial Officer.
- Primary management of accounting personnel & processes
- Manage individuals responsible for payroll, billings, collections, accounts payable and fixed assets
- Motivate and mentor the accounting staff, providing them with leadership, direction and coaching to achieve work and individual career objectives.
- Regularly meet with staff from each facet of the accounting department to provide training and discuss ideas, concerns, issues, etc.
- Provide support and guidance on any significant items that develop in the accounting department
- Review accounting processes and evaluate any alternatives that may streamline operations
- Create, manage and update accounting policies and procedures and ensure adherence to the same.
- Financials & ledger management
- Manage the month end close & account reconciliation process
- Assist in Work in Progress reviews with the Chief Financial Officer
- Compile all financial reports for review and final distribution
- Manage, produce and distribute all subsidiary companies financial reports
- Ensure accurate & timely financial records in accordance with GAAP
- Lead Annual Financial Audit
- Support other audits as necessary (profit sharing audits, project audits, etc.)
- Tax (state, local, federal)
- Lead Annual Corporate Tax Reporting
- Work with external CPA firm to prepare taxes
- Oversee Heavy Highway Tax Reporting
- Oversee and assist with Sales & Use Tax reporting
- Responsible for all required tax reports/filings ensuring compliance with government and other regulatory agencies
- Oversee payroll tax and fringe benefit tax compliance
- Assist in annual strategic business planning and budgeting
- Assist in the preparation of annual budgets and financial forecasts with management
- Ongoing reporting and variance analysis vs the budget
- Research and summarize variances
- Assist with forecasts as necessary
- Cash management
- Monitor bank account balances
- Execute transfers or wires
- Assist with cash flow forecasting when needed
- Oversee and perform bank reconciliations
- Improve and/or enhance reporting capabilities including designing new reports to support management staff.
- A Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college or university majoring in Accounting, CPA preferred
- 7+ years of relevant financial management experience with proven leadership and management skills in a “hands-on” construction environment
- Strong corporate tax and audit background
- Technical proficiency in construction ERP software, Vista by Viewpoint experience preferred
- Ability to effectively train, manage and mentor employees. Demonstrated history of working well in a team environment
- Experience with report writing in Crystal Reports, preferred
- Strong experience with Microsoft Excel
- Commitment to delivering quality results that meet expectations
- Strong drive and work ethic. High accountability
- Solutions oriented; Problem solver
- Ability to think outside the box to improve company performance and results
- Strong understanding of tax laws/guidelines
- Duties required physical abilities such as repetitive hand and finger motion, sitting, standing, walking, as well as extending hands and arms in work areas.
- The individual is required to occasionally move around the office and constantly operate a computer and other office machinery, etc.
- Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential job functions.
Post 3 Box 6
Oakland, CA 94606
Contractors State License Board:License # 944284
DIR # 1000007891